CoolSculpting vs. Cryoskin

The average adult loses 50 to 70 billion cells every day. Our cells are programmed to die, and there’s no need to be alarmed by this, because it is natural. In fact, when cells don’t die, it usually means they are cancerous.

Normal, healthy cells die when they are supposed to (a process called “apoptosis”), and they are then flushed out of the body through various processes. Sometimes you can trigger the natural process of apoptosis for certain kinds of cells, and this is what allows cryolipolysis to safely and non-invasively help with body shaping.

Cold Triggers Apoptosis of Fat Cells

Cryolipolysis is the process of removing fat cells by freezing them. Because fat cells freeze at a higher temperature than skin, muscle, or nerve cells, a targeted dose of cold can trigger apoptosis in fat cells without affecting other tissue. If you watch television, you may have seen commercials for a process called CoolSculpting, which is a trademarked type of cryolipolysis. When you undergo CoolSculpting, an operator attaches vacuum-like paddles to your body. These paddles suction your fat and then cool it. It takes an hour or two, and you will see results in about two weeks, which is how long it takes the lymphatic system to dump the dead fat cells.

Or you may want to try another type of cryolipolysis, called Cryoskin, which is a service we offer here are Peak Recovery & Health Center. With Cryoskin, there is no suction. An operator runs a wand over targeted areas of your body. The wand is computer-controlled to impart heat or cold at precise temperatures, triggering apoptosis in the fat cells and stimulating skin cells to produce collagen.

Two Processes Compared

Both Coolsculpting and Cryoskin are safe, noninvasive, and effective. So how do you decide which one is for you? Here’s my take on four ways in which the two techniques differ.

1. Speed of Results. Both Cryoskin and CoolSculpting take up to two weeks for your lymphatic system to flush out the first round of fat cells, but Cryoskin shows measurable results in a single session. Most Cryoskin clients lose half an inch in a single session, and it’s often a lot more than that. This is because Cryoskin does more than freeze fat. It also stimulates collagen production, which creates an immediate toning effect. According to Medical News Today, CoolSculpting often takes one to four months to show results.

2. Comfort. Both processes are noninvasive and therefore painless, but that doesn’t mean there’s no discomfort. According to the CoolSculpting website, “As the cooling begins during the first few minutes, you typically feel intense cold. This soon dissipates. With some applicators, you’ll feel some pulling as suction is applied. The area generally goes numb within 5 to 10 minutes during treatment.” Compare this to Cryoskin, which 88% of clients say is enjoyable and similar to massage. The other 12%, who may object to the cold, say it’s nevertheless bearable because it’s offset by heat during each session.

3. Side Effects. Both processes can have side effects. Cryoskin has low incidences of redness and numbness, which can last from a few hours to a couple days. CoolSculpting can result in numbness as well, but it is also known for “shelving,” which is fat collecting in some areas due to the suction used. This has happened often enough to create business opportunities. We recently found a body contouring center in Nashville that publishes a web page titled “How to Fix CoolSculpting Dents, Shelves, and Other Uneven Side Effects.”

4. Cost. On the subject of cost, the CoolSculpting website quotes Dr. Sheila Nazarian of Nazarian Plastic Surgery: “Most CoolSculpting treatments cost anywhere from $2,000 to $4,000, depending on how many areas you want to treat.” On the other hand, at Peak Recovery & Health Center, we charge $350 for a single Cryoskin session, and we offer a 5-pack for only $1500.

Why not try a Cryoskin session at Peak Recovery & Health Center? Book one today. You really have nothing to lose but your fat deposits.